Organizing Institution: Africa Islamic Economic Foundation
Start Date: November 23, 2021 (1:00pm)
End Date: November 24, 2021 (5:00pm +03)
About this event
As an organization committed to fostering the Islamic paradigm of economic development in Africa, the Africa Islamic Economic Foundation (AFRIEF), in collaboration with Glocal Healthcare Services Private Limited, is organizing a two-day Virtual Summit on September 14th–15th, 2021 on a topic of growing relevance in recent years: Islamic Finance: an Alternative Source of Funding Healthcare Infrastructure in Africa.
The theme of the event is: Transforming Healthcare Infrastructure in Africa. The goal of the Summit is to explore a realistic alternative approach to financing healthcare infrastructure in Africa. The event, therefore, provides a platform for leading Islamic finance and healthcare scholars and academics, key stakeholders, policymakers, researchers, students, investors, healthcare practitioners and other leaders of society from within Africa and beyond to present and discuss the most recent innovations, trends, as well as critically examine the purposes, theory, practice, structure, and institutions of the rapidly developing field of Islamic finance and how it can support the development of healthcare in Africa.
No doubt, given its emphasis on risk-sharing, linkages to real economic activities, partnership-based and equity-focused approaches, widened geographic reach and the rapid expansion of its global assets in Muslim and non-Muslim countries, Islamic finance possesses the unique potential to serve as a potent tool for mobilizing as yet untapped sources of liquidity to support strategies for revitalizing primary healthcare in Africa.
TOPICS TO BE DISCUSSED
It is difficult to invite papers on a precise list of topics in a virtual Summit of this nature; it would be equally difficult to organize a program of systematic discussions without some written papers and presentations. Submissions are however, invited from a number of perspectives. The list below is an indication of the areas which topics of papers or presentations, empirical or theoretical can cover.
• An Overview of Africa’s Healthcare Sector
• Digitizing Healthcare: Opportunities for Africa
• Healthcare Infrastructure Development in Africa: an essential strategy to achieving Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
• Reimagining Health Economics: The Islamic Perspectives
• The Global Islamic Finance Market.
• Islamic Finance Structures for Healthcare Infrastructure Projects. (Ijarah, Murabahah, Istisna’, Musharakah, Mudarabah, Sukuk,Takaful)
• Islamic Social Finance Instruments (Zakat, Waqf, Qard Hassana and Sadaqa)
• Public-Private Partnership (PPP) and Healthcare Infrastructure Development.
• Islamic Financing of Healthcare Infrastructure in Africa: Opportunities and Challenges.
• Case Studies
PROJECT PRESENTATION AND NETWORKING
The event presents a high level platform for countries, corporate bodies and entities, investors and entrepreneurs, government officials and policy makers to meet prospective investors and partners from regional and overseas participants for networking and investment opportunities in the healthcare sector.
(To be announced soon).