Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU)
Contact email: [email protected]
February 6, 2022 (11:00am GMT +3)
February 7, 2022 (7:30 pm GMT +3)
Since its inception, the study of the region designated as the ‘Middle East’ has presented observers and area studies’ scholars with significant challenges. Knowledge of the region, whether with its colonial roots or with increasing contemporary interest, has been fraught with uneven and conflicting perspectives.
Acknowledging the problematic origins of the area known as the ‘Middle East and Middle East area studies, our first major international conference is dedicated to re-thinking and re-imagining the epistemologies, directions and agendas of our field. Do colonial legacies still dominate knowledge production, research agendas and representations of the Middle East and if so in what ways? Or can we argue that the rising local and regional capacity in knowledge production and research has gone some way in redressing the epistemological imbalances that have characterised Middle East studies since the early days?
To address some of these substantive questions, The Middle Eastern Studies Department (MESD) at the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) in Hamad Bin Khalifa University in Doha is pleased to announce its international conference to be held from February 6-7, 2022.
This is an interdisciplinary conference focusing on power asymmetry in knowledge production through selective and probing panels devoted to key thematic areas. Invited speakers and panellists will address:
All the below timings are in Doha time (GMT +3).
- Keynote Speech (February 6, 2022, 11:00 am – 12:30 pm): A Nexus, Not a Locus: Middle Eastern Studies and South-to-South Relations
- Panel 1 (February 6, 2022, 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm): Transnational Dynamics and International Politics: How are Evolving Big Power Politics Impacting the Middle East
- Panel 2 (February 6, 2022, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm): Analysing the MENA Social Dynamics Using NLP and Big Data Methods
- Panel 3 (February 7, 2022, 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm): Society, Cities, and Space in the MENA Region
- Panel 4 (February 7, 2022, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm): Knowledge and Power in Palestine: The Quest for Statehood and the Marginalization of Rights
The sessions will be delivered online in webinar format on Webex.
Conference registration is essential to receive the link to the online session which will be emailed to registrants after submitting this form.
For further information, please direct your enquiries to Charlene Domingo: [email protected]